Make work fun

With the permission of my talented friend who made me a journal from scratch, I changed the front and back cover of the journal to suit my personality. I think I am falling in love with scrapbooking. I love the DIY factor. I simply used watered down PVA glue to attach the designs onto the journal.

I changed the journal cover while my Year 7 students were quietly working on their self-portraits mixed media artwork. I love how my 4 x Year 7 classes have dramatically changed from being 'noisy' to now working quietly. They can monitor their voices due to the 'NOISE' signs that I made. I also have a student who is the 'shh-sha'. The shh-sha reminds students of the correct voice level if it is louder than usual. The NOISE sign works by flipping each letter (starting from E). When letters are flipped, there are minutes written on the other side (E= 1 min, S = 2 min, I = 4 mins, S = 8 mins and E = 16 mins). The class needs to remain quiet for the entire duration. Students lose one virtual rewards point for each flipped letter. They have 1 virtual reward point for each of the letter that remains on the board. Most classes receive at least 3 virtual rewards points. Lately most classes have been receiving 4-5.

The students can focus and take the time to enjoy their work when they are not distracted by all the chattering. By listing the steps on the board or by giving 'student' work samples, they are more organised as they know what they need to do. I find there are less gypsies (wanderers) in the room when clear instructions are given. There is also a great sense of teamwork as students work together to achieve the 'ideal' amount of virtual rewards points. On top of the virtual rewards points, I have a class vs class rewards system. Students can get up to 3 plastic coins in their class jar. The class with the most plastic coins by the end of the fortnight cycle gets a tally towards a pizza party. I also draw out a name from my class bundle of paddle pop sticks to receive a prize.


Above: The 'before' look.


Above: The 'after' look.


Above: The overall journal design.


Above: The 'noise; signs can be seen on the whiteboard. 


Above: After my friend's wedding on Sunday, I brought home the table decoration which she made. They now sit on my classroom desk.

Tuesdays are short and quick. It is only a four-period day. After lunch we have sports. I am part of the rock climbing group and when I have the energy, I try to participate with the students. I have no fear of climbing up the wall when I have a student pulling me up but if I am asked to use the auto climbers option, I totally freak out. I finally confronted my fears today and tried the auto climbing ones. I had two students from Year 9 who was patient enough to teach me how to 'let go' from the wall. The idea of pushing myself away from the wall and letting the rope take me down was scary. My students helped build my confidence and after four climbs with the students, I could go down on my own. I love my students.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maintenance of Accreditation

Kikki.K Teacher Sales

Speed Dating Art Critique