Extra (fun) roles

Being a high school teacher, Year 7 Adviser, Facebook admin, rewards program runner keeps me busy. The thing about this job is that our 'work' brain never switches off. We are constantly thinking of our students, our workload and our relationships with people (staff and parents/carers).

I regularly maintain my school's Facebook page to promote what we are doing to the wider community. I am one of the five admins. On the Facebook page, you will find important notices for upcoming events, photos of students inside and outside of the classroom (photos taken with permission), prizes that we have up on the school Vivo rewards shop and general information. Parents and carers can like posts, leave comments or give us a private message. 

Being an admin has its perks. It works hand in hand with the school Vivo rewards program as I can make announcements of the prizes available and take photos of the prize recipients. Being a Year Adviser, I try to share photos of the Year 7 students enjoying school. It also makes it easier to collate information if I want to write articles for the school newsletter. I also enjoy promoting my CAPA (Creative and Performing Arts) faculty on Facebook by sharing photos of students engage in their art making practice. 

The Vivo reward system which we use at our school costs around $4950 for a 12-month license. It is based on the number of students at the school. The school's Vivo reward system works by having accounts set up for both the teacher and student. Teachers can reward students based on how well they are meeting the school's value of being a respectful, engaged and an active learner. Students can look up their virtual points on the computer/ mobile app and trade their points in for a prize of their own choice. There are tangible prizes and teacher service prizes available. 

Today a parent gave us a private message on the school Facebook page. She wants to donate 100 brand new cases for ipads, galaxy tablets and blackberry playbook. It is so wonderful to see parents donating prizes to the school Vivo stop. We also have another parent who constantly donates prizes such as Pokemon cards, plushies, footballs, make up bags, jerseys and footballs. 

I enjoy roles where I can communicate with parents and the wider community. Last year I sent out 100 letters and made a few phone calls in regards to donations. We have Bunnings and Riverside Theatres donating vouchers again. We try to let teachers, staff, parents know that anything can be a prize. I send whole school emails out once in a while asking for kind donations. Staff often have a look around for potential prizes when they clean out their house. Unwanted gifts make fantastic prizes. Students have purchased items such as bath sets, DVDs, books, stationary, virtual reality headset, figurines, plushies, bookmarks, jelly beans etc. My role is to promote Vivos, find prizes, upload the prizes onto the school Vivo shop and help students/staff reset their password.

Teacher services prizes are also an option. One of our deputy principal often gets purchased to make 'hot chocolate' for students. I have Year 7 students asking me about how much I cost. It sounds strange but it makes sense if you think of it in Vivo terms. Students can purchase 'me' to take over my lesson for 20 mins. They can become the teacher instead. Last year two Year 8 students ran my plaster bandage mask lesson. 


Above: Two Year 8 'teachers' (not wearing the red aprons) are teaching the rest of the class how to use plaster bandages.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maintenance of Accreditation

Kikki.K Teacher Sales

Speed Dating Art Critique