ALARM

During period 3 today, I tried teaching the ALARM Matrix to my Year 11 Visual Arts students. ALARM is A Learning And Responding Matrix developed by Max Woods. It is used to provide a framework for writing, learning, deconstruction of tasks and provide students with feedback.

Reflecting on my lesson today, I probably confused my students more. I made students highlight certain passages using colours that correspond to the ALARM Matrix. It was hard for students to differentiate between 'explain/discuss', 'analyse' and 'evaluate'. We ended up using yellow to cover the 'identity/outline/describe' sections and we used purple to cover the 'Interpret' sections. Students found these two areas easier to identify in passages.

I decided that there must be an easier way to teach students. I asked students if other classes were using the ALARM Matrix and only one student put her hand up. The rest of the students have been using PEEL strategies. The student who raised her hand explained that Health and CAFS subjects have been using the ALARM Matrix to teach them how to answer questions. She showed me a laminated sheet which she had in her pencil case. I have 'borrowed' ideas from that sheet and made one for Visual Arts. I added colours to the columns, changed the jargon, made it more subject specific and added an extra column known as 'Interpret'. For connotative interpretive subjects such as Art, Dance and English there is an extra 'Interpret' column. It is there because unlike other Logical Subjects, these subjects often require students to 'interpret meaning' from the source given.


My updated version:



I also spent some time watching a video by Max Wood. Can I please order a mini Max for my classroom?




I drove up to my local Bunnings today to pick up a $70 gift card donation. I have been contacting local businesses to see if they are interested in supporting our Vivo school rewards program by donating prizes or monetary goods.  I also purchased some hot dogs while I was there.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maintenance of Accreditation

Kikki.K Teacher Sales

Speed Dating Art Critique