Students: What can I say to myself?


I've been noticing a few things in my classroom and in other art classrooms across the globe (through engaging in a number of online Teaching platforms). There is a sense that if one tried in art, then one should receive an A. On Friday, I had a student who was displeased with her B and as a result starting going through other students' artworks and loudly proclaiming that she did better than the A students.

I stopped the entire class and focused on addressing the differences between an A, B, C, D E. Stopping students from working is not the ideal method but sometimes it is important to clarify a few things and in turn becomes a valuable lesson for them. I also spoke about work ethic using the two new posters that I have designed for my classroom (based on an Instagram post shared by an art teacher). 

I used the hamburger analogy to explain the differences between the grades while referring to the expectations of the assessment task. A link to the 'Hamburger Analogy' resource:


Using the first poster, I asked students to consider 'What can I say to myself?' For example, instead of thinking 'I am awesome' consider that 'I'm on the right track'. I then went on to the next poster that focuses on 'So you think you are done?' I asked them one important question 'Is this the best that you can do?' By putting the ownership back into the student, I was able to wipe away a sense of entitlement. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maintenance of Accreditation

Speed Dating Art Critique

Kikki.K Teacher Sales