Pairing students up strategically


The suggested methods can be adapted into any classroom or year groups:

This morning I took out several suits from an old deck of playing cards. I proceeded to cut them in half. I passed out one-half to every Year 11 student who walked through the door. They were then instructed to find the other half. This method allows them to break away from their friendship groups or from attempting the paper alone. You can carefully pair students up if you want by making sure you separate the same suit from 'close' friends. You could also pair a stronger student up with a student who may need the extra help. A good memory is important so you can distribute the cards carefully without it being obvious. For me, 'destiny' works out fine! 

Once they were in their pairs, I gave them a copy of either Question 1, 2 or 3 of section 1 of a preliminary exam paper. I ended up having 3-4 groups per question. 

They were then instructed to:

1. Find the keywords in the question.
2. Identify whether the question is based on the frames, conceptual framework or on the art making practice.
3. Start forming a response in bullet points.
4. Compile answers into paragraphs.

I went around each group providing them with guidance and feedback. Students are expected to share their answers next lesson. To encourage full class participation, I will be drawing out names. I have a tin for every class. They are filled up with paddle pop sticks with students' names written on top. This method encourages students to be ready and to be alert.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maintenance of Accreditation

Speed Dating Art Critique

Kikki.K Teacher Sales