Calling home: Concerns and positive feedback


It was POURING today after work so I decided to stay for a few more hours. On a normal day, I prefer taking work home. I still have a list of things to do before tomorrow!

I used the time at work today to call home to parents/carers. I am sending home five letter of concerns and decided to call parents to let them know that they will be receiving it shortly by mail. I also decided to choose respectful, engaged active learners from each class and call home to give them the recognition. 

Calling parents/carers take up a lot of time as I try to engage in a conversation with them rather than just treating them as an item to tick off my list. I find that it is important to talk to parents/carers as it gives you an insight into the home life and shows the parents/carers that you do care about their child. It is good to get support (when possible) from parents as well.

One of the best phone calls this afternoon was when I called home to a parent whose child was having a hard time and is currently dealing with anxiety. I was excited to let her know that her daughter was flourishing in Stage 5 Elective class. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised when the mother told me that my 'Are you ok?' conversations with her daughter, has genuinely made her feel relieved. She can sense that I am there to help her and that there are support systems in place.

I did inform the mother that she also brings a lot of joy into my classes and helps uplift me when I feel a bit low. I sometimes wish that I can develop more of these relationships with my students, especially with ones who are challenging.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maintenance of Accreditation

Speed Dating Art Critique

Kikki.K Teacher Sales