Always be prepared


Recently an ex student asked me to be his referee. I'm glad to see that I am still a teacher that he can approach to ask for assistance. Sometimes students find it awkward to talk to their ex teacher once they leave the classroom. Others love stopping to have a chat. This ex student worked really hard throughout his time in my Year 8 Visual Arts class. He struggled with critical writing and always showed me his work a few weeks before it was due. I was able to give him feedback and he was able to make the changes before the submission date.

I asked my executives if it was fine to share my personal details with him as he needs to put down my contact details for his job applications. Once I was given the green flag, I also proof read his resume. While reading his resume, I noticed that he did not explain what he could offer and why he is the best candidate for the job.

The task of helping my ex student reminded me that my resume needs improvements. I also need people who I can trust to proof read my application and give me constructive feedback. As a result, I have been taking a small break from blogging (4 days) to update my resume. Week 9 is the perfect time to do this as my workload is not as intense - reports are done, programs are ready and the classroom is organised. 

Here are a few things to consider when updating a resume for a NSW teaching position:

1. Make it stand out in terms of presentation/layout AND content.
2. Consider your role as a staff member, a colleague, a teacher of a child (of all ability groups) and how you will work with the whole school community to bring out the best for the students.
3. Address the selection criteria. Demonstrating your specific skills, knowledge and abilities to make you the candidate that the selection panel wants to interview for the advertised role.
4. What outcomes have you achieved. Always put the students first.
5. Show how your experiences can benefit the school's values. Read up their strategic plan, the school annual report, school newsletter, school website and the school Facebook page. 
6. Use the language that they want whether it is in reference to Positive Behaviour for Learning or the Quality Teaching Framework. 


The answers for the selection criteria and the interview needs to be pitched to the Executive (made up of the principal/deputy principal or head teacher), a staff rep, a parent, an ATSI community member (if there is a significant amount of ATSI students) and/or a multicultural rep (if it is a high NESB school). 

The NSW Education & Communities has a pdf file for both High School and Primary School teachers on how to address the specific selection criteria for an advertised classroom teacher position and what to include in your application.



Link: 

Guide to Application Writing for Classroom Teacher Positions


Application checklist 

Information from: Application Checklist

Before submitting a job application, you need to consider:

-Carefully read the job advertisement and information package and research the role and agency to decide if the opportunity is right for you.
-If required, contact the hiring manager or contact officer with any specific questions about the role that aren’t addressed in the job ad.
-Complete all compulsory fields (marked with a red asterisk (*) in the online form before saving each page.
 -Check the details you’ve provided in your application and cover letter -such as your contact mobile and landline numbers, , email address, role reference number (e.g. 0000XXXX), and the name of the hiring manager or contact - are correct.
 -Complete the online work history and education fields in the online application form to highlight your knowledge, skills, experience and achievements.
- Review your responses to any open-ended (‘targeted’) questions in the application form and make sure your responses succinctly demonstrate relevant capabilities.
 -List the details of at least two referees who can be contacted later in the assessment process.
 -Read the Accessibility Adjustment Information within the application form and consider whether you wish to advise the agency if you have a disability which may require adjustments to the assessment process. This will help us ensure fair and inclusive approaches from the beginning of the selection process.
-Submit your application online via the I work for NSW website before 11:50pm on the nominated closing date, or ideally 24 hours before to be sure that it has been received.
-Every time you apply for a new role, take the time to tailor your application, including your resume and cover letter, for that role.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maintenance of Accreditation

Speed Dating Art Critique

Kikki.K Teacher Sales