Meeting Students

I had a terrific day meeting new students. There were a lot of new names to learn but it helped by repeating their names and assigning them with a 'number' for the iHelp chart (classroom job distributor). I also encouraged class discussions by pulling out their names, which I had written on paddle pop sticks. 

I am so glad to have made some very positive relationships with a number of students last year. Today, I asked two year 12 students to help me put up the 'Happy Notes' backdrop. They are students who I have always stop to have a chat but don't actually teach them for any subjects. Sometimes moments like these make it even more special. I appreciate the time that I get (if I do get it) to speak to students in the morning. A simple wave and hello helps to brighten up their morning. Bribing them with Vivos (School virtual rewards system) also work!


Above: Happy notes wall. Need to fill up the back wall with more Art related posters.

I didn't actually get time to 'teach' today. I spent each lesson setting up the tone of my classroom: classroom rules, my expectations and consequences. I tried to also show them past projects or briefly mention to them what they will be doing this year. With the Year 7's I tried to leave a time for them to ask ANY questions. 


Above: I showed the Year 7's my Art frame and reminded them I will be taking a lot of photos throughout the year, especially for their 'selfies' portrait unit. I will be taking photos of them using the Snapchat filters and printing out the images for them to learn how to draw using the grid system.

Before allowing students to come inside my classroom, I will spend a few minutes reminding of the 'REAL behaviour expectations'. I explained that this is a whole school approach and I am not targeting them to have their hats off, earphones off etc. This year I am trying out a lot of new things including 'Bags at the back'. At the moment it is working as a treat because it takes away 'distraction' and helps keep the room tidy without bags taking up space near their workstation.


Above: I found a few hearts made by my last year's students and added it onto my pin board. It gives it a nicer touch.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maintenance of Accreditation

Speed Dating Art Critique

Kikki.K Teacher Sales