Supportive network

Teachers who support teachers are SUPER AWESOME. And what amazes me is the network of teachers on Facebook who are willing to share resources without a blink of an eye. My favourite group is the 'Relief Teaching Ideas Community'. There are 30,967 members and many of them are happy to share resources, provide answers to questions and just willing to listen and help.

I spent yesterday going through the 'files' section of this particular Facebook group and printed out a lot of useful resources for my Art classroom. Although most of the resources are generated for primary school setting, there is still a lot to take in as a high school teacher. I love what primary school teachers do. They use 'praises' often compared to any secondary teachers (a study was made and this was one of the findings- information gathered from my PBL workshops). Graphics are used to grab students' attention and many systems are in place to make sure routines work and students are achieving their personal best.

After attempting a park run today (5km -I was dying!), I grabbed a number of colourful tins from Smiggle. They are currently down to $1.15 each. It is a great way for me to control my distribution of resources (mainly pencils and rubbers). I then spent the rest of my afternoon laminating resources.

Please have a look (my dog was napping Zzzz):


I am planning to have a birthday wall in my classroom. Celebrating with students is always important to build a good teacher-student relationship.


Students tend to rush the art making process. Sometimes it is because they are super excited, other times its because they restrict themselves in their own comfort zone without taking on feedback and new challenges. We want them to understand that making Art IS a journey. Hopefully by using the hamburger rubric, they will start criticizing the quality of their own artwork and consider what they can do to improve.


In a primary setting, it is not unusual for the teacher to give students classroom jobs. This helps build ownership towards the classroom, equipment and improve the relationship between students-students and students-teachers. I wanted to explore this in a similar method. To make the process of selecting students fair, I have 5 other tins marked with each of my class. I am hoping to fill the tins with paddle pop sticks. Each paddle pop will have a student's name. At the start of each lesson, I will draw out a few students' names to carry out the jobs.


Distributing classroom resources effectively is important. My luck of receiving all my pencils and rubbers back last year was not exactly ideal. This year, I will try handing out tins with a number of pencils and rubbers. If other materials are needed such as paintbrushes, I will count the number of students per table. Instructions have been placed behind the tin. Hopefully, this new change means, I will have ALL my pencils and rubbers back by the end of the lesson.



Noise level is something that I like to consider. I don't really mind if students talk while working but there needs to be set expectations. I have actually bought a chime (very expensive...sighs) to use as an attention grabber especially at times when noise is not acceptable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maintenance of Accreditation

Speed Dating Art Critique

Kikki.K Teacher Sales