DIY

My laminator is starting to hate me by making weird noises when I feed it with more paper. Time to hit Aldi and get a new one for $17. Aldi's 'Back to School' sale is starting tomorrow and I am going to fight for goodies. I should probably set myself a budget so I don't overspend.

It was too hot today to trek out. But I have been eyeing 'The Beach' event at Barangaroo. It is literally an enormous man made beach with 1.1 million recyclable polyethylene balls.  The event is part of the Sydney Festival, which runs until the 29th of January. This event is free before 9am and the last free entry ends at 3:30pm. 

Today, I tried to do a bit of work by reading up materials in prep for my first Year 11 Visual Arts class. I am happy that I have the opportunity to teach a senior Art class this year. For the last couple of years I have only been teaching Year 7-10 Visual Arts and Photography subjects. I have experience teaching Year 7-11 TAS subjects but I have been waiting for a chance to teach Senior Art. Art is my passion! It comes first ;)

I did some reading today on ALARM  (A Learning And Response Matrix) created by Max Woods, ESL teacher who teaches at NBSC Freshwater High School. I need to update the existing Year 11 assessment tasks to include a focus on ALARM elements. ALARM is a systematic approach where it caters for lower and high ability students. The ALARM process seems to work well with our Art Case Studies where we focus on 'describe', 'analyse', 'interpret' and 'judgement'. The missing element at the moment is to encourage students to 'critically analyse' and consider the complex meaning or connections behind the text or image. I need to read more about the ALARM matrix.

Today, I decided to add a splash of colour onto my newly purchased teacher binder (see previous post). I used purple and blue cardboard with some beautiful washi tapes. All the dividers are now laminated as I wanted to get rid of the ugly A4 sleeves. The con about laminating is the weight. I had to move my Year Advisor materials across into a new folder. 




I have been heavily browsing ideas on the Internet for DIY classroom ideas. Here are some favourites, which I may give it a go depending on time:










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maintenance of Accreditation

Speed Dating Art Critique

Kikki.K Teacher Sales