First day


Year 7 will start their first day tomorrow. I still remember my first day of high school. I was standing alone in my roll call line waiting for instructions on where to go. The only other person I knew, was standing very far away. My six years of high school life was like a roller coaster ride. There were many ups and downs. However, my 'memories' remind me of how high school was not just about the academic side but about making life long friends. Every day I speak to my high school friends via sms and I meet them regularly for food feasts and hiking trips.

Since I am the Year 7 Adviser, I want students to see the value of making memories. It has become the focus of my speech. I want students to make memories together. I want them to also understand that we all take part in someone's memories, so we need to remember to be kind to one another. Kindness is also the theme for my classroom this year. 

I will be taking a lot of photos as I love recording down memories and I love celebrating students' achievements. This cohort will have a crazy Year Adviser who will be active on the school Facebook page and find ways to help them collect memories.

Being a Visual Arts teacher is helpful. It makes me want to be more creative not just in my classroom but outside. It also helps that I have supportive co-workers. I have arranged with my co-workers to spend at least one period of their Art lesson on allowing students to write a letter to their future self. In six years time before their HSC, students will open up the letter. I want students to see how far they have gone. I want them to be proud of what they have accomplished. I want them to become strong and independent young adults ready to start the next episode of their life. 




Above: Time capsule letter.



Above: The Year 7 cohort classes are named after precious stones.

Comments

  1. Love the letter to future self idea! I might use it first day of class after we go over expectations and etc...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maintenance of Accreditation

Speed Dating Art Critique

Kikki.K Teacher Sales