Ikea shopping (comparing prices)


I did a bit of marking this morning- Year 11 Senior Visual Arts exam papers. I only marked question 1 and started question 2. Glad to see that my students are doing well minus a few who need to read the question carefully and use the keywords in their response. It will also help if they do more than list what they can see in the plates (unknown artworks) and think of how the artists are challenging the audience or how they address social issues. I have stapled the marking criteria and an example of a teacher response (my attempt) for each question. This way students can compare their responses to the marking criteria and look at how I answered the same questions. I also provide them with an individual feedback.

When Term 2 starts, I will need to spend at least half a lesson to go through what was working well and what needs improvement. There will be more revision throughout the year using old test papers to get them ready for Year 12 HSC.


Above: Far left is the teacher's response, the middle is the marking criteria and on the right, is the Art criticism and art history exam paper.


Today, my partner wanted to go to Ikea to pick up a lamp and a furniture piece. I went along to get a break from all the marking. The break ended up being four hours. Ikea is a bit like Costco...you can never leave. While walking through Ikea, I had to keep my hands in my pocket! Temptation...temptation.



If you have been following this blog, you will know how much I love decorating my Art classroom. I have been teaching for almost five years and this is the first year where I have invested time and money into my classroom. I try to create DIY projects to save money. By doing DIY projects it also allows the students to get a go in creating something that is displayed in the classroom. Gives them a sense of recognition, ownership and responsibility.

I realised a lot of the things that I was looking at in Ikea were things that I already have. I love the pom pom party decorations from Ikea. They were around $6 Aud for one so I gave them a miss. You can get them at Kmart for around $3 Aud.



Above: Last term, I asked a few students to help me hang some poms poms. Kmart pom poms are on sale for $3 each.

I am thinking of growing a garden in my classroom to get some 'nature' into the classroom. Recently I went on a road trip and bought some cactus (the only plant that will survive under my care) and a nice antique house that was not made to be a glass house. I found some actual glasshouses at Ikea for $25 Aud but they were not as cute.


Above; Antique glass house display now used for my classroom garden. Plants from Burrawang markets ($25 Aud for 6 x small pots and $10 for the larger one).

I love the wooden display cabinets. They were priced at $40 Aud at Ikea. I prefer the red cabinet from Super Cheap Auto which I paid a hefty fee of $50. However, these drawers are bigger and are made to be sturdy as they are normally used in the garage.


Above: Cabinet from Super Cheap Auto. The drawers have been labelled with Dymo tags to make it easier to locate resources.

Ikea also had some cute lanterns for around $10 each. However, I have already purchased some from Typo for $20. This is how I use lanterns in my classroom:


Above: Lanterns on display at the teacher's desk.


Above: Ikea products. They are very similar to what I already have.


I did end up getting a few things from Ikea but for my own bedroom. I purchased a large mirror as my room is missing one. This will make it easier when I need to take 'Ootd' posts for my friends. I use a mobile app called 'Line' with my high school friends (we have been friends for more than 10 years!!). Ootd means outfit of the day. I also purchased a light that turns on when my wardrobe is open. Sometimes it feels like I am in a cave trying to see what outfits I am picking out. There is no light! 



Above: New mirror in my room. I am a Kewpie collector so you might see an abnormal amount of naked dolls in my room.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maintenance of Accreditation

Speed Dating Art Critique

Kikki.K Teacher Sales