Memories

I love the fact that I am presenting more in front of larger groups of people. It is training me to become more comfortable inside my introvert shell. 


Above: Prepping for today's Year 7 meeting

This year I am teaching Year 11 Visual Arts students. I rewrote the program and assessment tasks. The first unit requires them to make five artworks based on one sentimental object. Last lesson, they had trouble thinking of what was sentimental in their life. I brought in my own box of memories to help students understand what makes an object sentimental. I was able to capture the attention of all my students. It was exciting for them to see what kind of objects was being taken out of the box. I took this opportunity explain how a strong concept/narrative holds the attention of the audience. It was also a fantastic way for students to learn more about me and to see that I am more than just a teacher - I am a human being with emotions just like them!


Above: Box decorated from when I was in early high school.


I explained why I kept the plastic food bowls inside my box. I told them since I was a child, I would eat rice every night with my Chinese parents and sister. The scratch marks on the bowls show wear and tear. Instead of throwing them away, I kept all four bowls. The bowls represent time I spent with my family. It symbolises the relationship I have with them. I told them, one day my family may not be with me, and these bowls will forever capture the moments enjoying the conversations over the table while eating dinner.

Another example I gave was with a fabric pencil case. I explained how my grandmother had passed away and the pencil case brought back memories of how we spent school holidays together. She introduced me to the sewing machine. We designed and constructed the pencil case together. Objects that hold a significant weight for me are not necessarily monetary goods. I want students to see this.

I also read small snippets out of my diary and showed them drawings from when I was a young child. Students had a good laugh at how I used to rate myself. I would rate whether I was a good girl or a bad girl depending on how many deeds or bad things I have done.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maintenance of Accreditation

Kikki.K Teacher Sales

Speed Dating Art Critique