Teacher's voice


How do you protect your teacher's voice? Here are a few strategies that I use in my classroom:

NOISE CARDS

I designed this system to encourage my classes to monitor their noise level. Every time the class gets noisy, I flip a letter. They need to be quiet for a set amount of time depending on the penalty that is shown behind the card (E:1 min, S: 2 mins, I: 4 mins, O: 8 mins and N:16 mins). You can carry out the penalty during class time and since the first few cards carry only a few minutes weight, it should not slow down your lesson. 

I find that I can utilise the 'quiet' period to give out instructions or to give a demonstration. Students usually start monitoring their noise level when a few cards have been flipped. I have shared this system with a few teachers, and some of them warn students about detentions if the letters 'N' and 'O' are left on the board. If all five letters remain unflipped then students will receive 5 Vivos (whole school virtual rewards system). Remember to reward your students for doing the right thing!

Making the cards were super easy. I hand drew the letters onto individual cards then laminated the sheets. I attached the letters onto my whiteboard using velcro. You can also use blue tac if you are a casual teacher. Light and portable!


CHIME

I use a chime as an attention grabbing tool. I paid more than $50 Aud on eBay for this chime. For more cost effective way, use a whistle, bell or a bike horn. I find that the chime is more easy on the ears.


THINC PRODUCT

I recently invested in a portable multi-media voice amplifier. The retail price is $185 Aud but I purchased it during the weekend sale for $109 Aud. This includes postage within Australia and New Zealand. It will be handy for classroom management, if I'm sick and for my Year Adviser job. 



I am also planning to use this amplifier during Heritage day (Multicultural day) to get the attention of students and parents/carers to make their way to my 'rock' stall. I need to get as many rocks painted for the school rock pathway project that I am organising.

If you are interested in creating a rock project for your own school, then please click on the link below:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maintenance of Accreditation

Kikki.K Teacher Sales

Speed Dating Art Critique